Achilles tendinopathy is a condition that causes pain, swelling, stiffness and weakness of the Achilles tendon. It is thought to be caused by repeated tiny injuries (known as micro trauma) to the Achilles tendon. After each injury, the tendon does not heal completely, as should normally happen. This means that over time, damage to the Achilles tendon builds up and Achilles tendinopathy can develop.
There are a number of things that may lead to these repeated tiny injuries to the Achilles tendon. For example:
- Overuse of the Achilles tendon. This can be a problem for people who run regularly. (Achilles tendinopathy can also be a problem for dancers and for people who play a lot of tennis or other sports that involve jumping).
- Training or exercising wearing inappropriate footwear.
- Having poor training or exercising techniques – for example, a poor running technique.
- Making a change to your training programme – for example, increasing the intensity of your training and how often you train.
- Training or exercising on hard or sloped surfaces.
- Having a high-arched foot.
- Having poor flexibility – for example, having tight or underdeveloped thigh (hamstring) muscles).
For persistent Achilles problems we combine best evidence rehabilitation with a progressive strengthening routine, footwear education, orthotic prescription (if needed) and Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy.
I suffered from heel pain and Achilles tendonitis for about 8 months. I consulted various health professionals who gave me exercises and orthotics, all to no avail. On recommendation I visited Podiatrist Julie Llewellyn who after 2 initial treatments referred me to James for Shockwave treatment.
Finally health professionals who know what they are talking about!
After 3 sessions of Shockwave treatment I am back to playing 4 games of badminton in a morning and walking several miles. I thoroughly recommend James and the shockwave treatment at Abbeyfields.
“I’ve suffered with Plantar fasciitis & Achilles Tendonitis for the past two years.
If you have it, you will know its a crippling foot condition. If like me you think you have tried & exhausted everything and lost hope, think again.
Contact The Abbeyfields Clinic and have Shockwave Therapy.
I have recently had 4 sessions, I am well on the way to beating this and if I continue to follow James’s aftercare advice, I will get there.
Just don’t suffer as long as I did, help is out there you just have to know were to look.”
Mrs L Bishop
I recently saw James Woledge having suffered with Achilles tendonitis for over one year. I had previously tried various other treatments which hadn’t helped. I had three sessions of Shockwave treatment and within a short period of time I was back to normal. I would highly recommend this treatment but I would say sooner rather than later – don’t leave it as long as I did!
Sarah C RGN from Stowmarket
Find out more how we can help heal your achilles tendonitis
Find out more about how we can help your achilles tendonitis or for more information about Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy. Contact us on 01284 847884 or use our online contact form.